Sunday, May 8, 2016

So You Think You Can Dance Blog Only Teaser

“This is my first time choreographing for the show. Some of you have worked with me during the auditions if you were asked to do the choreography round. This dance is different than that. The premise of the dance is this: it’s in the middle of hot spell. No one has functioning air conditioning and you’re all out in various locations on the stage, fanning yourselves and trying, desperately, to cool off. Then, you just can’t help yourself and you hear this music that has you wanting to move. The choreography is sexy, sultry and hot. There will be a lot of partner work and intricate lifts,” Edward explained. “Any questions?”

Alice raised her hand. “Are you going to feature the Latin dancers?” she asked, grinning smugly.

“I’m going to feature who I think is the best for the characters I’ve created in my head,” he answered. “A few are Latin dancers, others are not.” He stood up and pointed to the rehearsal space. There were various props littered around the room. “Find your opening position. Your names are on the spots I want you at.”

We got up and found our first location. I was sitting at a table, center stage, with Ben. What would begin the choreography was an argument between me and Ben, forcing me to walk away to turn on the radio. To get back at Ben, I would dance with Alec and everyone would join in. Two hours later, we have learned the whole routine and Edward wasn’t lying that it was a sexy routine. There was a lot of hip rolling, grinding and sexual tension. Almost everyone had a featured moment. Some were longer than others, but I noticed that Alice got the shortest featured section. She was pissed and vibrating with anger. Angela, Rose’s roommate in the house, and a beautiful ballet dancer, had the longest feature with Jacob.

We ran the dance three times before Edward dismissed us and beamed at the progress we’d made. He gave us a few notes before we left. As soon as we were done, I removed my shoes and put on my flip flops. Heels were the bane of my existence. Edward didn’t talk to me, but he did give me a wink as I left the studio. However, I ran right into Alice. “It was you,” she sneered. “You convinced him to not give me a solo!”

“What?! I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I said, trying to walk past her.

“This is retaliation for what happened last week, isn’t it?” she asked, her eyes narrowed and her face pinched sourly.

“Alice, get over yourself,” I huffed, pushing past her and walking down to the van.


Opening Group Number - Performance Show
Edward Choreography
"I Know You Want Me" - Pitbull

No comments:

Post a Comment